Jetset Plumbing - Partners with World Vision

Jetset Plumbing Blog

Call Now: 1800 443 996

$0 Call Out Fee. One Call, Solves All.

Your local 5 Star plumbers
Total Reviews

What Is a Water Efficiency Certificate?

If you’re looking at renting out your property, as you will be the landlord, there are a number of factors to consider — one of the more important factors is if you will be able to pass on the full cost of water consumption to your tenant. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to contact a plumber and attain a Water Efficiency Certificate for the state of Queensland. The Master Plumbers Association of Queensland has developed a specific Water Efficiency Certificate and it is up to the landlord or real estate agent to request for the certificate to be issued for the rental property.

Water Efficiency Certificate QLD

What Do I Need To Have In Order To Gain A Water Efficiency Certificate Cover?

Under the ‘Queensland Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Regulations Act of 2009’ the following key conditions must be met in order to attain a Water Efficiency Certificate:

  • The rental premises must be individually metered or bulk water be delivered by a vehicle.
  • All internal cold water taps, except those serving a bath, are to deliver a maximum of 9 litres of water, per minute.
  • Shower heads are to have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute.
  • Toilets are to be dual flush, with the maximum flush volume of the full flush to be 6.5 litres, and the maximum for the half flush being 3.5 litres.

What If I don’t Meet The Minimum Requirements?

If we have come out to your property and it turns out that you don't meet the standards for a Water Efficiency Certificate, we can easily show you where you fail to meet the requirements and how this can be remedied so that you do gain a Water Efficiency Certificate. Some of these remedies include;

  • Upgrading tap-ware and outlets or
  • Installing flow restricting aerators or
  • Installing flow restrictor fittings behind the spouts or
  • Installing flow restrictors in the tap

Water Efficiency Certificate charges

Water Charges For Tenants

As you are the landlord, you will still receive the water bill and pay for it. After you have done this and have a valid Water Efficiency Certificate, you are then entitled to provide your tenants with a copy of the water bill and evidence of water consumption to verify the amount charged and what they owe you.

Google Rating
4.8 Star rating
Based on 2,029 reviews